Skip to main content

2 minutes in the mind of a single-parent



Single-parents know it’s hard for others to imagine, but as stressed as you are as a full-time student, as an active member of the full-time workforce, a stay at home mom to 4, or as a dad who works full-time and also coaches his sons football team, being a single parent is like the stress of all of those combined in one. We don’t only worry about the house needing to be vacuumed and the kids needing to be picked up from school. Or getting off work and mustering up the energy to help our kids with their homework. Our minds are this cluttered at all times:



“Once I get done at work, I need to pick up the kids from the babysitters house, go home, make dinner, do the laundry that hasn’t been done in 3 weeks so the kids have something to wear tomorrow besides a bath towel…speaking of baths, the kids need a bath…when even was the last time they had one? I should wash the bed sheets when I’m doing laundry anyways and the kids should have a bath before I put the clean sheets on the bed so I can make them stay fresh longer... 

...Speaking of bed, I need to do my homework, shower, make school lunches for tomorrow, call my grandma back whose been trying to get a hold of me for the past 2 months, call the doctor and schedule the appointments for my daughters shots before I go to bed…speaking of the doctor, when was the last time I went?…eh who knows? …who really cares even? … not like I have the money for myself to go to the doctors. Hopefully I don't have cancerous cells spreading throughout my body or a brain tumor...

...Speaking of things I don’t have money for, Sarah’s wedding shower is Saturday and I need to get her a present before then. Should I have the babysitter come at 6:30am tomorrow so I can run by the store on my way to work or should I squeeze it on on my lunch break? Wait no… I need to swing by the auto shop and get my oil changed on my lunch break because that will save me more time than it will if I do it by myself later. Speaking of later, I told my kids I would take them to the park tonight. 

Great…how am I going to fit all of this stuff in before I go to bed tonight? I guess I can start the laundry the second we walk in the door, it will run for 45 min so during that time we’ll go to the park and they can play and by the time we get home, the sheets will be ready to throw in the drier and while they’re in the drier, I’ll put dinner in the oven which will need to cook for 20min so during that time I can give the kids a quick bath and by the time they get out I can get dinner out of the oven and serve it to them and for the 5-10mins they actually sit still at the table, I’ll run upstairs and put the sheets on their beds. 

Then once they are asleep, I’ll just stay up until 1 or 2am so I can take my own damn shower and get done all the other things I need to do. Maybe I can put my laundry off for another day… wait no, tomorrow I have to leave work early to make it to my daughters school for her mommy and me lunch hour and after school she has ballet and soccer and the next day I have work then church plus studying for that test…and I was already out of dress code the last two days due to my lack of clean clothes to choose from… so I guess I have to do my laundry tonight. 

Maybe I can cut out my homework? Well… If I don’t do it tonight the only other block of time will be on my day off after our pool date with my daughters friend and before my bible study at night and that might be the only other chance between now and then I have to take a shower… so I better do my homework tonight too. 

And yes, I think the babysitter will need to come at 6:30am tomorrow because there is no other time I can go buy that present. The kids will wake up around 6, so that means for me to have time to get ready for work I’ll need to get up at 5am, so I guess I’ll only sleep 3-4 hours tonight….”



...scary to think someone could be so strategical with planning their time, huh? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

when you're wrongly judged...

“By judging others we blind ourselves to our own evil and to the grace which others are just as entitled to as we are.”   ―  Dietrich Bonhoeffer ,  The Cost of Discipleship When you are wrongly judged...   Keep your integrity so beautifully   intact that those who tried to discredit your character will eventually have no choice but to swallow the painfully obvious truth of who you are - a good person - despite their best efforts to convince themselves and others you are a monster.   That is when your victory will come.   It will not come in the heat of the moment when you bark back and try to defend yourself.  It won't come in the moment of weakness when you try to show who the real problem is in the situation and you just end up making yourself look crazy. No, they want a response. They want to prod at you until you explode because then they can assure themselves "See! I'm right! Look how awful she is!"  It won't come by explanat

11 things that happen when you date a narcissistic, pathological liar...

"Narcissists are masters of illusion, they play the poor abused victim while in truth they are wreaking havoc by torturing, mistreating and abusing those that they fooled into loving them." After I met my narcissistic sociopathic ex, I called my best friend and told her I had met the love of my life and if it wasn't this guy, it wouldn't be anyone. Because no one could ever live up to the type of person he presented himself to be and I wouldn't have such magnificent chemistry with any other human. He was so sweet and innocent, I told her it didn't seem unreasonable that he could possibly even be a virgin... which would likely make him the only adult virgin male I knew. He was an answer to prayer, I was sure. God was coming through for me and brought me the man of my dreams and I was ecstatic.  Eventually I learned who he presented himself to be and who he actually is, are completely different people. Eventually I learned what it's like to go face

In response to the ignorance: here is "why she stayed" with the abuser

"She was a forgiver. Her heart was so large, she didn't know how to give up on people because she always believed the good in those she loved." - C.R. Bittar Abuse is a process that unfolds very slowly with calculated tactics by a master manipulator. Abusers don't walk up to you and punch you on the first date. I feel the need to clarify the obvious, because so many of you seem to be confused. So many of you, don't know why victims stay. You think we are ignorant. You think we have low self-eseteem. You think we are poor. You think we are a certain ethnicity. You think we are uneducated. You think our dads abused us; therefore we sought a man who would reinforce the negative self-image we must've adapted from fathers who tainted our perception of ourselves. You think we are poor judges of character. You think we are naive. You think we came from broken homes. You think we don't know how to read people and are gullible. .... and