Skip to main content

bad boys, brats & divas: we're raising what we're praising

"The way we talk to our children becomes their inner-voice."

My son is a very active toddler who is full of energy and has a mischievous personality. A few weeks ago I found he had gotten into markers and was coloring on my bedroom furniture. "Bravery!" I exclaimed. "Is that something you should be doing?" I was shocked at his reply "Me, bad boy." I quickly replied "No, you're not a bad boy. You're a good boy. But you did make a bad decision." He argued "Me, bad boy."

It's continued since then.

Every time I have to correct or redirect him he has been telling me "Me, bad boy."

I don't know where this idea came from.

I'm not sure if someone who was watching him told him he was a bad boy.

But it breaks my heart and I am trying my hardest to get him to stop saying it.

I'm sure some wouldn't give it a second thought.

I'm sure some frequently use that very phrase to point out a negative behavior that their child is exemplifying.

But here's the problem: our words are either bringing life or death.

Your child is not their behavior. 

Your child may be extremely passionate, but she is not over-dramatic.

Your child may have very particular taste, but she is not a diva.

Your child may be rambunctious and wild but he is not a bad boy.

Your child may throw a fit or talk back from time to time but he or she isn't a brat.

Who our children are is who they are on their best days. When they are carefree, their needs have been met, their stress level is low and they feel loved.

Your daughter is the sweet little girl who likes to have tea parties with you. You know how she tenderly cares for all of her stuffed animals and invites them all to the party so none of them get their feelings hurt? That is who she is. She is nurturing. She is empathetic. She is loving and sensitive.

Your son is the happy, vivacious little man who has a wide-eyed-bushy-tailed perspective on life. The one who is eager and welcoming of the greatest adventures. The one who has the charming sense of humor. The little boy who after racing off his energy all day pulls you in close, kisses your forehead and says "Good night mom. You're the best mom in the whole world, universe and outer-space."

If we want to raise strong, confident children who make an impact on the world around them, it starts with how we treat them.

It starts with what we speak over them.

Think twice next time before you call your child a bad boy, brat or a diva. You're raising what you're praising.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

when you're wrongly judged...

“By judging others we blind ourselves to our own evil and to the grace which others are just as entitled to as we are.”   ―  Dietrich Bonhoeffer ,  The Cost of Discipleship When you are wrongly judged...   Keep your integrity so beautifully   intact that those who tried to discredit your character will eventually have no choice but to swallow the painfully obvious truth of who you are - a good person - despite their best efforts to convince themselves and others you are a monster.   That is when your victory will come.   It will not come in the heat of the moment when you bark back and try to defend yourself.  It won't come in the moment of weakness when you try to show who the real problem is in the situation and you just end up making yourself look crazy. No, they want a response. They want to prod at you until you explode because then they can assure themselves "See! I'm right! Look how awful she is!"  It won't come by explanat

11 things that happen when you date a narcissistic, pathological liar...

"Narcissists are masters of illusion, they play the poor abused victim while in truth they are wreaking havoc by torturing, mistreating and abusing those that they fooled into loving them." After I met my narcissistic sociopathic ex, I called my best friend and told her I had met the love of my life and if it wasn't this guy, it wouldn't be anyone. Because no one could ever live up to the type of person he presented himself to be and I wouldn't have such magnificent chemistry with any other human. He was so sweet and innocent, I told her it didn't seem unreasonable that he could possibly even be a virgin... which would likely make him the only adult virgin male I knew. He was an answer to prayer, I was sure. God was coming through for me and brought me the man of my dreams and I was ecstatic.  Eventually I learned who he presented himself to be and who he actually is, are completely different people. Eventually I learned what it's like to go face

In response to the ignorance: here is "why she stayed" with the abuser

"She was a forgiver. Her heart was so large, she didn't know how to give up on people because she always believed the good in those she loved." - C.R. Bittar Abuse is a process that unfolds very slowly with calculated tactics by a master manipulator. Abusers don't walk up to you and punch you on the first date. I feel the need to clarify the obvious, because so many of you seem to be confused. So many of you, don't know why victims stay. You think we are ignorant. You think we have low self-eseteem. You think we are poor. You think we are a certain ethnicity. You think we are uneducated. You think our dads abused us; therefore we sought a man who would reinforce the negative self-image we must've adapted from fathers who tainted our perception of ourselves. You think we are poor judges of character. You think we are naive. You think we came from broken homes. You think we don't know how to read people and are gullible. .... and